SG Live Bet
SG Tipster
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 230

Thread: Casino Levy to be raised after Elections?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,197
    My Reputation Points: 2036 / Power: 11

    Default Casino Levy to be raised after Elections?

    Yesterday, Minister Vivian Balakrishnan released some startling statistics. According to media reports, more 1 million Singaporeans have visited the casino in the past 7 months.

    Based on these numbers, it is obvious that the bulk of the record profits reported by the casinos are being earned from Singaporeans rather than foreigners.

    As an immediate stop gap measure, the Casino Regulatory Authority (CRA) has issued directives to stop the casino from engaging in activities that encourage Singaporeans to visit the casinos. These include free shuttle rides to the casinos and media releases that showcase big winnings by gamblers.

    In the longer run, it is obvious that these stop gap measures will have only a limited impact . There are more than 1 million visits to the casino in the past 7 months are made by Singaporeans. It appears the exiting levy ($100 per 24 hours and $2000 per year) is NOT having the desired effect of deterring Singaporeans from visiting the casino.

    WILL THE LEVY BE RAISED AFTER THE ELECTIONS ARE OVER?

    If there are no plans to raise the levy, Minister Balakrishnan should state this clearly.

    If the number of Singaporean gamblers continues to surge and we start seeing a large number of broken families due to problem gambling, we can then hold Minister Balakrishnan accountable for having failed to manage the social problems of the casinos.

    I am also interested to know some of the unpublished figures to determine the extend of the impact of Casinos on Singaporeans:

    1) What is the total number of visits by foreigners to the casinos within the same period of time? This figure is important for us to assess on whether these casinos are “successful” in attracting MORE foreigners than Singaporeans. The KPI for this success is for every local Singaporean patrons, the casinos should attract 4 foreign patrons (20-80 ratio).

    2) I would like to know the number of Singaporean who have signed up the $2000 yearly membership. On top of that, I also want to know the breakdown of the number of visits by Singaporeans, including those holding the $2000 membership. Eg. How many visited the Casino only once in the 7 months. How many visited twice, three times, four times…. etc. This is to determine the social impact of the Casinos on Singaporeans.

    I believe MCYS has all these data and it is time to do a review on the casinos.

    There are still problems of Casinos providing rolling credits (Casino operators basically turn into money lenders!) and not stating clearly the odds of each different games. But I guess we will have to do it one at a time as it seems that Minister Balakrishnan may not be able to cope with too many things simultaneously.

    Goh Meng Seng
    We have lost sight of the joy and excitement of public service, helping our fellow men. The joy and excitement of seeking and understanding of the joy of the miracle of the living the duty and the grandeur. We have lost taste for heroic action in the service of our people. David Marshall

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    331
    My Reputation Points: 17 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Casino Levy to be raised after Elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goh Meng Seng View Post

    If the number of Singaporean gamblers continues to surge and we start seeing a large number of broken families due to problem gambling, we can then hold Minister Balakrishnan accountable for having failed to manage the social problems of the casinos.

    Goh Meng Seng
    You care about broken families? Why not you stop cheating your wife and save ur own family 1st? Alcoholism also cause domestic violent, do you want to restrict sinkies to drink as well? Sinkies are groen up adults and should be given the freedom to choose how to live their lifestyle, if they choose to fuck up their lifes you also want to blame the minister? PAP allow inflows of PRC woman and also cause large number of broken families, do you also want to hold anyone accountability while you enjoy the free sex from them?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sinkapore
    Posts
    1,910
    My Reputation Points: 518 / Power: 8

    Default Re: Casino Levy to be raised after Elections?

    I believe it is one million non-unique visits. In other words, most Singaporeans who visit the casinos would have visited them multiple times.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    25,457
    My Reputation Points: 1518 / Power: 318

    Default Re: Casino Levy to be raised after Elections?

    I hope they do away with the levy. Singaporeans who want to gamble away their life savings should be allowed to do so. They have a right to do whatever they want with their own money.


    Screw the CPF! Beat Ho Ching's returns by converting your SGD to ARS and earn 27.18% interest immediately
    Reputation System FAQ
    Wanted : Sam Leong
    NRIC: S1599536-L
    DOB: 25 May 66
    Last known address:Rented Room in Bedok South
    Please note that this Moniker is no longer Persian
    I am now of Burmese descent




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    17
    My Reputation Points: 10 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Casino Levy to be raised after Elections?

    i second that

    Quote Originally Posted by Leongsam View Post
    I hope they do away with the levy. Singaporeans who want to gamble away their life savings should be allowed to do so. They have a right to do whatever they want with their own money.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,873
    My Reputation Points: 342 / Power: 7

    Default Re: Casino Levy to be raised after Elections?

    I think the government will reduce the levy after the election. Anyway, why is an unelected politician asking questions of the govt? Why isn't all these questions asked by the opposition in parliament? Really talk talk talk outside Parliament but once got in, silent like mice.
    Have a better day tomorrow!

    I appreciate reputation points but please do not expect me to give back in return. I only give for quality posts. Cheers!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sinkapore
    Posts
    1,910
    My Reputation Points: 518 / Power: 8

    Default Re: Casino Levy to be raised after Elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leongsam View Post
    I hope they do away with the levy. Singaporeans who want to gamble away their life savings should be allowed to do so. They have a right to do whatever they want with their own money.
    Agreed. It is not as if the levy is preventing hard cores from gmabling anyway!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,558
    My Reputation Points: 346 / Power: 7

    Default Re: Casino Levy to be raised after Elections?

    Why not up the levy now? Why must after election?

    The Casinos are for FOREIGNERS... Gahment Say!
    Life is about Payroll and Claims - $$$

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,247
    My Reputation Points: 283 / Power: 7

    Default Re: Casino Levy to be raised after Elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goh Meng Seng View Post

    2) I would like to know the number of Singaporean who have signed up the $2000 yearly membership. On top of that, I also want to know the breakdown of the number of visits by Singaporeans, including those holding the $2000 membership. Eg. How many visited the Casino only once in the 7 months. How many visited twice, three times, four times…. etc. This is to determine the social impact of the Casinos on Singaporeans.
    At one hand the ppl of singapore want the govt to steer clear in making decisions for them, on the other hand here we want govt to stop people from entering casinos.

    I on $2000 levy. I visit 3-4 times a week. Sometimes 5 times a week. I finish what I do during the day, I visit the casino after I finish my work. I don't think it has been a problem for me and many others. For people who have problem gambling, they can gamble on any thing, and have problem repaying.

    Without IRs, I also make frequent visits to Genting Malaysia.

    A person who want to gamble, even you increase to $500 levy, he will still go and find the money.

    You may think increase the levy could be a good thing, but what would this project the image of Sg govt to overseas investors where they will think why are rules and regulations bended so easily.

    When the 2 IR tenders will given out, it has been stated clearly levy is $100 and $2000. Yes, the levy can be increased but would investors tender for bids if they knew the govt is going back on their words easily after the investments are all done and set?

    It would be very dangerous if we have a set of new people being part of the govt doing things as and when they like and decided to do.

    It's easy to make a policy but the repercussions of every decision made can be enormous. Seems that there are people who can't wait to make the IRs in Singapore die and only then would they be satisfied and they come out and say, "Hey I told you so, the IRs are destined to die even before it started"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,247
    My Reputation Points: 283 / Power: 7

    Default Re: Casino Levy to be raised after Elections?

    As a regular patron of Marina Bay Sands, I would like to give my view on the patronage of visitors in MBS. It's not even 50% full on the gaming tables on weekdays and hardly 80% on weekends. On weekdays, abouot 20-30% of tables are closed.

    Genting Malaysia with Genting Casino has no levy and been there for years, and have we seen the whole country in trouble with gambling?

    Being a new casino in the market, everyone wants a glimpse of how it looks like. The statistics could have many people just wanting to go in and take a look. My parents have visited MBS once and RWS once just to take a look at how different it is from other casinos. Are they regularly there? Ans is no.

    Many singaporean regulars I seen in Genting malaysia are playing in MBS and RWS instead. Eating and spending in our country is better than spending it in other countries. I have no qualms with contributing levies to the govt because I want to gamble. As simple as that. Other singaporeans can benefit from this money which the govt can use for them.

    The biggest problem we realise here is people who pay levy to enter the casinos are not complaining, its the ones who don't gamble, don't pay levy finding all sorts of reasons

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,873
    My Reputation Points: 342 / Power: 7

    Default Re: Casino Levy to be raised after Elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by silverfox@ View Post
    The biggest problem we realise here is people who pay levy to enter the casinos are not complaining, its the ones who don't gamble, don't pay levy finding all sorts of reasons
    Bro, that is one astute observation. Liang Eng Hwa talked so much about free buses but what about the jackpot machines in country clubs and the Singapore Pools outlets that are almost everywhere these days.

    I dun even go to S Pools outlets anymore cos I have a Poolconnectz account. I just make phone calls whenever I feel the inspiration. I do not even have to leave my seat now to top up my account. It can be done with internet banking.
    Have a better day tomorrow!

    I appreciate reputation points but please do not expect me to give back in return. I only give for quality posts. Cheers!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,766
    My Reputation Points: 352 / Power: 5

    Default Re: Casino Levy to be raised after Elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by silverfox@ View Post
    You may think increase the levy could be a good thing, but what would this project the image of Sg govt to overseas investors where they will think why are rules and regulations bended so easily.

    When the 2 IR tenders will given out, it has been stated clearly levy is $100 and $2000. Yes, the levy can be increased but would investors tender for bids if they knew the govt is going back on their words easily after the investments are all done and set?

    It would be very dangerous if we have a set of new people being part of the govt doing things as and when they like and decided to do.

    It's easy to make a policy but the repercussions of every decision made can be enormous. Seems that there are people who can't wait to make the IRs in Singapore die and only then would they be satisfied and they come out and say, "Hey I told you so, the IRs are destined to die even before it started"
    Living in Singapore, it is common for there to be increases in the prices of everything. For example, maid levies go up all the time to moderate the demand for maids. Ditto for ERP and the taxes on cigarretes to discourage consumption.

    As these are unpopular measures, they are usually done after elections.

    If it is ok for maid levies, ERP, cigarrete taxes etc to go up, why then the hue and cry if the casino levy goes up?

    In any case, I think it is perfectly ok if Minister Balakrishnan wants to maintain the current levy levels. Fine too if he wants to lower or even remove the levies.

    At the end of the day, he is the Minister responsible for managing the social aspects of the casinos.

    If things work out and we do not have a large number of social problems, he gets the credit of being a good Minister and therefore worthy of being re-elected.

    On the other hand if things don't work out and we see a large number of broken familes due to problem gambling, then it is only right that he be held accountable and possibly be removed from office via elections.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,351
    My Reputation Points: 523 / Power: 6

    Default Re: Casino Levy to be raised after Elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goh Meng Seng View Post

    WILL THE LEVY BE RAISED AFTER THE ELECTIONS ARE OVER?

    If there are no plans to raise the levy, Minister Balakrishnan should state this clearly.


    Goh Meng Seng

    Mr Goh:

    You should also state your stand clearly if you expect Minister Balakrishnan to state his position clearly.

    1. Do you think Singaporeans should be charged a levy to enter the casino?

    2. If yes, do you support for a levy increase or otherwise?


    If you do not state your position, why should Minister Balakrishnan ?


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    436
    My Reputation Points: 223 / Power: 5

    Default Re: Casino Levy to be raised after Elections?

    "It appears the exiting levy ($100 per 24 hours and $2000 per year) is NOT having the desired effect of deterring Singaporeans from visiting the casino."

    GMS, I support you, but don't make the casinos an issue.
    If you're asking for more levies to control our lives, you're playing into the hands of the PAP, and we're pathetically regressing as a nation (don't you want a freer sgp? Free to use CPF, free to talk, free to walk in the streets for a clause). In the end, it might backfire. PAP capitalise on more levy revenue, they please anti-casino voters, and will they credit GMS for lowering the number of visits by locals? Remember, they know who is a casino goer, how may times a week, where they live, which GRC, how much tax they pay, etc. Everytime you scan your IC when you go in, you are a statistic in their spreadsheet, so they have all these numbers to look at. Do you? How to fight them on this front? Like it or not, the casinos are there. Sgps want to go gamble or not, leave it to them. Remember when RA films just came out? People complain of yangtze cinema, dirty old men, under 21 cannot watch, what is art what is porn? etc etc. Now it's no big deal at all.
    You can add me to the 2k payer list, and I visit MBS at least twice a week. Like silverfox says, it's not even full, weekdays or weekends. To add to that, the only queue is going into the parking on weekend nights.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    7
    My Reputation Points: 10 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Casino Levy to be raised after Elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by aurvandil View Post
    Living in Singapore, it is common for there to be increases in the prices of everything. For example, maid levies go up all the time to moderate the demand for maids. Ditto for ERP and the taxes on cigarretes to discourage consumption.

    As these are unpopular measures, they are usually done after elections.

    If it is ok for maid levies, ERP, cigarrete taxes etc to go up, why then the hue and cry if the casino levy goes up?

    In any case, I think it is perfectly ok if Minister Balakrishnan wants to maintain the current levy levels. Fine too if he wants to lower or even remove the levies.

    At the end of the day, he is the Minister responsible for managing the social aspects of the casinos.

    If things work out and we do not have a large number of social problems, he gets the credit of being a good Minister and therefore worthy of being re-elected.

    On the other hand if things don't work out and we see a large number of broken familes due to problem gambling, then it is only right that he be held accountable and possibly be removed from office via elections.


    Vivi getting credit for being a good ministar n kanna worthy of being re-elected? Hey c'mon, the YOG saga is brewing hot with not a single clever answer from him, and yet still talk about being reelected? go slow pal, and lets take things one step at a time...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,766
    My Reputation Points: 352 / Power: 5

    Default Re: Casino Levy to be raised after Elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by klongtoey kid View Post
    Vivi getting credit for being a good ministar n kanna worthy of being re-elected? Hey c'mon, the YOG saga is brewing hot with not a single clever answer from him, and yet still talk about being reelected? go slow pal, and lets take things one step at a time...
    That's quite true. The way the YOG was handled cost the the PAP a lot of political support. The PAP elders might want to watch Minister Balakrishnan very carefully to ensure that he does not mismanage the social aspects of the casino issue.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,247
    My Reputation Points: 283 / Power: 7

    Default Re: Casino Levy to be raised after Elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by shOUTloud View Post
    Bro, that is one astute observation. Liang Eng Hwa talked so much about free buses but what about the jackpot machines in country clubs and the Singapore Pools outlets that are almost everywhere these days.

    I dun even go to S Pools outlets anymore cos I have a Poolconnectz account. I just make phone calls whenever I feel the inspiration. I do not even have to leave my seat now to top up my account. It can be done with internet banking.
    Jackpot machines are everywhere when the 2IRs are not even started. Sg Pools, Turf club. And these places which I mentioned does not even need a levy. It's absolutely free for people to gamble. Internet poolzconnect you mentioned, and no one is complaining about this. We may not be able to accept prostitution, but gambling is already part and parcel of everyday life.

    Buy shares also gamble. But people put it in a nice way called INVEST. Buying investment insurance policies also gambling, nice way its INVESTMENT policy, who will dare name it GAMBLING policy? Why are there no policies in place to stop people from buying shares? Genting shares from $1.20 now to over $2, are these people investing? Most are speculating and gambling.

    Termination of free shuttle bus service will not stop people from going casinos. In the 1st place, people already prepared to pay levy to go in.

    What is Levy?
    The entry levy is a policy enacted by the Singapore Government to signal that gambling is an expense, it is not a way to make a living, and to deter impulse gambling. Resorts World supports measures to promote responsible gambling.

    Levy is to deter impulse and irresponsible gamblers, not to stop all people from gambling.

    Might as well singapore pools also have a levy on singaporeans and prs buying 4D and toto. Only foreigners no need. How come no one wants to suggest this to parliament?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,247
    My Reputation Points: 283 / Power: 7

    Default Re: Casino Levy to be raised after Elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by GramStroker View Post
    "It appears the exiting levy ($100 per 24 hours and $2000 per year) is NOT having the desired effect of deterring Singaporeans from visiting the casino."

    GMS, I support you, but don't make the casinos an issue.
    If you're asking for more levies to control our lives, you're playing into the hands of the PAP, and we're pathetically regressing as a nation (don't you want a freer sgp? Free to use CPF, free to talk, free to walk in the streets for a clause). In the end, it might backfire. PAP capitalise on more levy revenue, they please anti-casino voters, and will they credit GMS for lowering the number of visits by locals? Remember, they know who is a casino goer, how may times a week, where they live, which GRC, how much tax they pay, etc. Everytime you scan your IC when you go in, you are a statistic in their spreadsheet, so they have all these numbers to look at. Do you? How to fight them on this front? Like it or not, the casinos are there. Sgps want to go gamble or not, leave it to them. Remember when RA films just came out? People complain of yangtze cinema, dirty old men, under 21 cannot watch, what is art what is porn? etc etc. Now it's no big deal at all.
    You can add me to the 2k payer list, and I visit MBS at least twice a week. Like silverfox says, it's not even full, weekdays or weekends. To add to that, the only queue is going into the parking on weekend nights.
    Levy increase, people will bet bigger. More problems.

    I think inflation is the bigger issue to talk about than all those minor race issues, or minor gambling issues. Inflation affects everyone especially with a super GDP growth. I am only interested to know how PAP govt is going to fight inflation.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,247
    My Reputation Points: 283 / Power: 7

    Default Re: Casino Levy to be raised after Elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goh Meng Seng View Post
    1) What is the total number of visits by foreigners to the casinos within the same period of time? This figure is important for us to assess on whether these casinos are “successful” in attracting MORE foreigners than Singaporeans. The KPI for this success is for every local Singaporean patrons, the casinos should attract 4 foreign patrons (20-80 ratio).


    Goh Meng Seng
    There is this report on Singapore having the highest hotel room rates in Asia-Pacific
    http://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/Sin...36617.html?x=0

    A Singapore hotel room cost an average of S$230 ($172.50) per night in the second quarter this year, up 22 percent from the same period last year, according to a survey by online hotel booking operator Hotels.com........

    It has been a long while since hotels have now go on an upswing with high demands.

    Tourism have greatly increased since the 2IRs have opened. Breaking visitor records. Why are hotel rooms expensive is because its always high season and full and are Singaporeans staying in hotels? Foreigners are. To bring more tourists also need more hotels. Which tourist would want to come to a country when there are limited hotel rooms and prices for rooms are always on the up?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,766
    My Reputation Points: 352 / Power: 5

    Default Re: Casino Levy to be raised after Elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by silverfox@ View Post
    What is Levy?
    The entry levy is a policy enacted by the Singapore Government to signal that gambling is an expense, it is not a way to make a living, and to deter impulse gambling. Resorts World supports measures to promote responsible gambling.
    If the purpose is to deter yet you have statistics which show that more than 1 million Singaporeans visited in 7 months, then it seems quite obvious that the levy is not having the desired deterence effect.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Incident further confirms stupidity og casino levy
    By Balls2U in forum The Courtyard Café
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2010, 03:53 AM
  2. Is it fair for S'poreans and PRs to pay a S$100 casino levy at RWS?
    By Ah Hai in forum Gambling/Sports/Games/Hobbies
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-03-2010, 05:11 AM
  3. 30,000 people buy $2000 casino levy
    By shOUTloud in forum The Courtyard Café
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 22-02-2010, 01:59 AM
  4. Epiphany! $100 casino levy is like ERP!
    By SneeringTree in forum The Courtyard Café
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 15-02-2010, 07:55 AM
  5. You can start paying your casino levy at 11.18am
    By dysentry in forum The Courtyard Café
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 14-02-2010, 02:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •