NTUC Xtra at Jurong Point on alert after 7 more arrested for theft at hypermart
By Lim Yi Han
The Straits Times
Saturday, Mar 23, 2013
Police said NTUC Xtra has put in preventive measures, including ceiling mirrors and surveillance cameras, as well as deploying more security personnel to deter shoplifters.
Get the full story from The Straits Times.
Here is the full statement from the police:
Police have arrested 4 men and 3 women, aged between 19 to 43 years old, for committing seven separate cases of Shop Theft at NTUC Xtra, Jurong Point Shopping Centre along Jurong West Central from 8 to 15 March 2013.
Investigations against the suspects are ongoing.
All the suspects have committed the offence of Theft in Dwelling (Shop Theft) under Section 380 of the Penal Code, Chapter 224. Any person convicted of this offence can be jailed for up to seven years and be liable to a fine.
Shop Theft at NTUC Xtra, Jurong Point Shopping Centre which recorded 102 cases in 2012, rose by 33 cases (or 48%) as compared to the 69 cases in 2011.
Playing an active role in crime prevention as a retailer, NTUC Xtra has put in place several preventive measures. For example, enhanced security measures such as increase in the deployment of security personnel and plain-clothes in-house detectives, installation of ceiling mirrors and CCTV system and display of crime prevention posters and Police standees were put in place to deter and detect shop lifters.
Police will continue to work closely with the retailers to educate them on implementing possible prevention or detection measures to curb Shop Theft.
Police would also like to remind retail outlets to be vigilant against Shop Theft and retailers are encouraged to adopt the following preventive measures:
- Display expensive items in locked display shelves which are only accessible by the staff;
- Avoid displaying expensive items near the store's entry and exit points. They should be placed at strategic locations where they can be monitored by staff or placed under CCTV surveillance. Use empty packaging for expensive items;
- Enhance the store's security system by installing CCTVs and convex mirrors. Ensure that the cameras are in good working condition;
- Use an electronic tagging system;
- Display advisory signage or warnings against shop theft; and
- Advise all staff to be observant and vigilant.